History of Surigao del Norte
On September 18, 1960, pursuant to the Republic Act 2786 dated June 19, 1960, the province of Surigao was divided into Surigao del Norte and Surigao del Sur. The town of Surigao became a city on August 30, 1970 pursuant to RA 6134. Atty. Pedro R. Espina became the first City Mayor.
Dinagat Islands had been a part of the First District of Surigao del Norte until becoming a province on its own on December 2, 2006, with the approval of Republic ActNo. 9355, the Charter of the Province of Dinagat Islands, in a plebiscite. Between February 2010 and March 2011, the islands were part again of Surigao del Norte but were reinstated as a separate province.
Surigao del Norte is aprovince of the Philippines located in the Caraga region in Mindanao. Its capital is Surigao City. The province consists of two major islands—Siargao and Bucas Grande—in the Philippine Sea, and a small region at the northernmost tip of the island of Mindanao. This mainland portion borders Agusan del Norte, and Surigao del Sur to the south.
Surigao del Norte is the second northernmost of the Mindanao provinces and is an important transportation hub between Visayas and Mindanao. Numerous ferries cross the Surigao Strait between Surigao and the island ofLeyte carrying vehicles and passengers between Liloan in Southern Leyte and Surigao City.
Surigao del Norte was once a part of an old territory that existed in Northeastern Mindanao called "Caraga" named after the people called "Calagans" who were believed to be of Visayan origin. They were the inhabitants of the province that time.
In 1538, Francisco de Castro, a Portuguese-born Spaniard in the expedition from Ternate in search of Loaisa, landed on what presently is Surigao del Norte province. Thereupon he baptized the inhabitants to Christianity.
Historically, the early Spanish settlements were established in Tandag. In 1638, the Recollects had a residence in the towns of Tandag, Butuan, Sidargo (Siargao), Bislig and Linao, a town located in the interior of Agusan.
It was on February 1, 1752, a year after the town of Siargao (Numancia) was burned by the Moros (Muslim Pirates), when the Recollects residence was transferred to Surigao.
In 1860, six military districts were established in Mindanao. Surigao and Agusan, including the territory lying between Butuan and Caraga Bays, formed the third District called the East District which was later changed in 1870 to "Distrito de Surigao".
In 1911, during the American Regime, Agusan was created as a separate province with Butuan as its capital.
It was on June 19,1960, through Republic Act 2786 that Surigao was divided into two provinces : Surigao del Norte and Surigao del Sur.